The Foundation partners with organizations that meet the criteria below and align with our strategic focus areas:
- Enhance Arts and Cultural Living
- Ensure Essential Living Standards
- Empower Responsible and Sustainable Living
We recognize that certain organizations may wish to apply for funding from the Corporation and have listed the relevant criteria and application for ease of use. Neither the Foundation nor the Corporation accept unsolicited in-kind requests. All funding requests should be for monetary contributions.
To be considered by the Foundation or Corporation for funding, organizations and their programs should meet the following conditions:
- The organization (or fiscal sponsor) must be determined by the IRS to be a tax-exempt organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and a public charity described in Section 509(a)(1) or 509(a)(2) of the Code, that is operated exclusively for charitable, scientific, or educational purposes.
- Priority is given to organizations located in Louisville, Kentucky.
- The organization’s mission and project outcomes must align with one or more of the strategic focus areas.
- Proposals must be received by the submission deadline to be considered for that grant cycle.
- Proposals must provide a sound basis of measurement toward project goals and outcomes.
The following are ineligible to apply for funding:
- Public schools (K-12)
- Group tours
- Athletic teams or leagues
- Requests by foreign organizations
- Religious organizations such as churches and synagogues
- Any organization that is not a public charity described in either Section 509(a)(1) or 509(a)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Third parties seeking donations on behalf of nonprofit organizations – donations must be made directly to a nonprofit rather than, for example, to a business partner making a request on behalf of an organization
- Political organizations or for political campaign purposes
- Requests to carry on a voter registration drive
- Grant requests for projects that include lobbying, propaganda, or other attempts to influence legislation
- Organizations that lack non-discrimination policies or have a history of discriminating on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status
The following are ineligible to apply for funding from the Brown-Forman Foundation:
- Past grantees that have failed to provide a completed grant agreement, grant report, or other required documentation
- Requests to satisfy the personal pledge of a Foundation or Brown-Forman director, officer, key staff person, or family member thereof
- Requests that, if granted, would provide a personal benefit to a Foundation or Brown-Forman director, officer, key staff person, or family member thereof, other than naming or similar publicity